RNLI onboard safety advice
The RNLI offers a free, friendly and confidential service that looks at the safety aspects of your boat. Conducted by one of its highly trained volunteers, Advice Onboard is a personal, face-to-face safety service that takes place on board your craft. You set the time and the RNLI will tailor its visit to your vessel and the type of boating that you do.
Whether you’re a newcomer or an experienced boater, the charity’s one-to-one service will give you an opportunity to ask any niggling questions about equipment or emergency procedures.
Other benefits include:
- A free, independent discussion on boat safety equipment
- An opportunity to discuss safety matters, tapping into a wealth of knowledge and experience
- Your copy of a written summary of the main points discussed
The whole Advice Onboard service, and even the phone call to book, is free. The service is available in all parts of the UK and the ROI for anyone who goes to sea in almost any type of leisure craft.
0800 328 0600 (UK freephone)
In the event of an emergency within the Harbour, when there is grave and imminent danger to a vessel or persons, contact the Coastguard on VHF Channel 16 (or via 999).
In the event of a non life threatening marine incident, please contact Barrage Control immediately on VHF Channel 18 or by calling 029 2070 0234.
- Remember to check the forecast before going afloat.
- Keep a weather eye – don’t get caught out.
- Know your own, your crew’s and your vessel’s limits.
- Distribute weight evenly and do not overload your tender.
- Remember that tenders and alcohol can be a lethal combination.
- Purchase a lifejacket suitable for your activity, ensuring it has a whistle, light and reflective strip, and conforms to European Conformity (EC) guidelines.
- Learn how to use your jacket or buoyancy aid, checking regularly in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remember buoyancy aids DO NOT have the same capacity as a lifejacket, but can assist in keeping a person afloat. Remember the advice – lifejackets are useless unless worn – at all times.